Advertisements

Parenting Fears…Oh no! They must have …?

So I have  recently been thinking a lot about parenting fears,  and after reading another blog  which listed a bunch of the fears this specific person had, I thought I would delve into the subject as well. See, the reason I’ve been thinking about it so long is that my daughter has been sick for over a month now. The first week was serious- fever, severe cough, runny nose with congestion,  and a terrible ear ache. Then, the second week was milder- the fever was gone, the congestion was less. Every  week it’s gotten a little less. When it hit five weeks that she still  had a cough, runny nose, and ear ache, however, I decided to get a second opinion on my first doctor’s diagnosis of ‘it’s just a virus, nothing to worry about- stop bringing her in.’ I took my three year old to the doctor and I was asked the usual questions:

Is the eating and  drinking enough? Yes,  she’s actually eating much more than usual. Is there a particular time when her cough is worse? Yes, at night, first thing in the morning, or if she overexerts herself at any point during the day. Does she have a history of asthma? No. Does she  run a fever? Not anymore, no. The questions went on and on. That’s a good  thing though. This doctor asked a lot of questions, and I like  that, because it means he’s actually taking some time to really figure things out. Then came the check up. He checked her heart, blood pressure, temperature, ears,eyes, nose, mouth…he felt her throat to see if the glands were swollen, and he listened to her lungs for a  good  eight or nine deep breaths from both the front and back. Then he talked to her. This doctor took the five minutes out of his day to ask my three year old how she felt, because as all parents know, at three, she has some kind of an idea what hurts or what doesn’t. She told him that her ‘tummy didn’t hurt, but noises were too loud.’ She also told him that ‘her eyes  were itchy, and there was mucus in her.’ So, the doctor took another look at her eyes and ears. He ran some sort of drip test on her ears after looking, and low and behold, my dear sweet daughter has so much fluid in one ear that the ear drum is bulging.

The good news is that it isn’t really infected yet. She also has some very serious sinus congestion. He said that it didn’t look  infected, but that there was no doubt it would be soon if we didn’t get rid of it. Something about the color or something… I’m not doctor, but I was happy to learn something. He talked with me for a good full five minutes telling me what I could do. He wrote her a prescription for amoxicillian. He told me to use the vaporizer (which I have), give her two or three really warm steam baths to clear the sinuses, or at least get her to stay in the bathroom for ten minutes at a time. After the steam baths, bulb her nose or have her blow. Lots of fluids to clear and thin the mucus, elevate her at night when she’s sleeping, and use the honey/cinnamon mix I have been using, plus start using vicks on her chest. (Remember parents: always put a child in something very warm after using this! Otherwise, it really could lead to pneumonia!) So, I’ve been doing as he says, and after the first night time round (antibiotic, followed by steamy shower, followed by vicks and some all natural juice), I can tell the difference. Her breathing is the tinniest bit better. Most people wouldn’t even be able to tell, but as a mother who spends 99% of her time with her daughter, I know it is working.

Yet the antibiotic led to another not-so-small parenting fear. What if she’s allergic? I was told that it was highly unlikely she was allergic. I honestly haven’t known anyone who was allergic to Amoxicillan, except for my step father, who only developed it after years and years and years of use and a huge decrease in his own immune system. I still started her with half the dose she was prescribed, as a precaution. She has now reached the 4 hour mark, when the risk of anaphalactic shock is zero. Tomorrow I will give her the full dose and do one more ‘four hour mommy watch’ but chances are very high, she’ll be just fine.

Keeping all of this in mind, I would like to reveal to you all of the things that I thought my daughter had at least once. Some of them were common, some were ridiculously insane. The list is rather long, but here we go:

• Flu
  • Cold
  • Inner Ear Infection
  • Middle Ear Infection
  • Outer Ear Infection
  • Sinus Infection
  • Meningitis
  • Seasonal Allergies
  • Pneumonia
  • Bronchitis
  • Croup/Laryngitis
  • Tonsillitis
  • General Upper Respiratory Infection
  • Chicken Pox (she broke  out in a fever rash during the first week)
  • Measles (*fever rash again)
  • Rubella (yes, seriously, it was the fever rash)

A bit ridiculous, right? Yes, seriously. But that is a HUGE part of parenting. A mother in particular plays a thousand roles for their child. Doctor happens to be one of them. Has anyone else ever had an “Oh no! They must have…?” moment? Let me know about it! and I”ll keep everyone updated on my Boo’s health!

Advertisements

11 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Trackback: Children And Chores | Pen Possessed
  2. Trackback: Childhood Friendships | Pen Possessed
  3. adtrosper
    Jan 10, 2013 @ 00:18:05

With my first, I worried about all kinds of things like that. With my third (who is now five) I’m much more relaxed. I saw a thing the other day that said: When the first child gets his first nose bleed, its a trip to the E.R. By the time the third child comes running in with a nose bleed it’s, “Get off the carpet before you bleed on it.”

I’ve just found that as I gain experience, I take things more in stride as they come and don’t worry near as much. My oldest is now 14, my middle is almost 12 and my youngest is 5.

• Dixie's Ranter
      Jan 10, 2013 @ 10:52:32

haha, I think that’s true! I guess that as you go through everything under the sun with each child, things get a little less scary. I remember that when my grandma would have me and my sister visiting for the day, and we had something wrong with us, she was a lot calmer than my mother was. Of course, My grandma (dad’s mom) had eight children, and gave birth to all of them at home in a mining shack in WV-she also had dozens of grandchildren & great-grandchildren. She never worried overmuch about anything. Of course, by the time all of my mom’s kids were half-grown she didn’t worry anymore either. She also had three 🙂 Now we’re 30, 22, and 20. I think the biggest reason I freak out is became I don’t really have anyone right here to help out. My momma passed when I was eight months pregnant…and my mother-in-law passed when I was three months pregnant. All I can do is reach out to all of my friends, cousins, and all online. haha.

I hope that I stop stressing out as much. We only have Boo, who is three, but we’ll be trying for our second as soon as I get test results back that say I’m no longer anemic (and then spend three months on prenatals just in case- doctor’s orders…ugh). If I stressed and worried as much with the second… I’d have gray hairs and a heart attack by the time THEY reach my daughter’s age. haha.

• adtrosper
        Jan 10, 2013 @ 11:30:38

Not having your mom would be really hard. When my husband and I left the hospital with our first, we didn’t go home. We went to my mothers. Why? Because we didn’t have a clue what the heck we were doing and the hospital was actually sending this tiny infant home with us. So we went to my mom’s and stayed for several hours before going home. By then I felt more confident. Although it still took both my husband and I to get our newborn’s diaper changed and we both got pee’d on.

The second child is easier because you go into the whole thing with a lot more personal knowledge.

• Dixie's Ranter
          Jan 10, 2013 @ 11:51:56

I was very lucky for once that I come from a ‘split’ family. I was able to get some help from my step mom directly after Boo was born. It wasn’t like if I’d had my real momma, but it did help. Now, however, I’m in New Jersey and she’s in West Virginia. If I need her, I can call her, but she has a drastically different view on parenting then I do or my momma did, and I get confused at times because of the differing views. My step mom and I didn’t actually get along very well until I had the baby and I was older. But my dad and step mom are also a LOT older, and I just don’t think either of them were set to have a whole new set of children. (My step mom is 65 right now,and my real daddy is 62.) I’m glad she helped me out during the first three days though. I had a C-Section with her (she was stuck), and I could hardly get up and move around, so if my step mom hadn’t of come to help, I have no idea what I would have done. Lord knows we couldn’t afford for Bobby to take off work!

haha… I got peed on a lot, and that’s kind of sad, considering she’s a girl. I remember the first time we were going to give her a ‘real’ bath, I decided that I would just take her in with me… when we turned on the water, she got frightened and started crying…then she proceeded to poop all over me… 0.o All my husband could do was laugh at me. I was shocked, but in the end, I thought it was pretty funny to. haha

It’s good to know that the second child is easier! If nothing else, at least I’ll have figured out some of what works and some of what doesn’t! haha!

• adtrosper
            Jan 10, 2013 @ 15:51:48

Well, even her parenting style is very different, at least you still have her to call on. I’m sure over the years, she will still give you little nuggets of wisdom.

• Dixie's Ranter
              Jan 10, 2013 @ 16:05:25

I think so also 🙂 I know that she’s very to the point, but her advice has worked for me before. Like, my daughter went through a biting stage, and she used to bite me so hard I’d bleed. I asked her what to do and she said bite her back…I told her that was crazy! That’s so mean! But one day Boo bit me and wouldn’t let go…I got frustrated and bit her back…and she never bit me or anyone else again. lol. I feel awful telling ppl that, but hey, it works! lol